Are you planning a day of tasting the latest vintages from your favorite winery? Maybe you're heading to the local distillery to have a dram from their latest uncorked liquor barrel? Or perhaps you're planning to sample several microbrews from a few breweries?
If you are looking for inspiration here is a list of local, Des Moines area wineries, breweries, and distilleries you should visit:
1. Covered Bridges Winery - Founded in 2004 and nestled in the rolling hills of Winterset, Iowa, Covered Bridges Winery is a family owned, award-winning, boutique winery worthy of a visit.
2. Jasper Winery - Grape vines were planted at a property just outside Newton owned by the Groben family in 2000. The winery opened in a renovated warehouse in Newton in 2003 and relocated to a property near Grays Lake in Des Moines in the summer of 2008. Their philosophy is to produce world-class wines using only Iowa grown grapes.
3. Summerset Winery - One of Iowa's first estate wineries, the Mark family opened Summerset Winery in the summer of 1997 in Indianola. The winery is nestled on 12 acres of vineyard a mere 20 minutes from downtown Des Moines. One the property, The Arbor House, provides the perfect backdrop for live summer concerts and wedding ceremonies.
4. Tassel Ridge Winery - Located less than one hour away from Des Moines in rural Leighton, Iowa, Tassel Ridge Winery offers tours anytime during their regular business hours. Join them for an adventure in winemaking as a knowledgeable tour guide highlights the steps from vine to bottle. Complimentary samples are offered at the conclusion of the tour.
5. Two Saints Winery - Located just 15 minutes south of West Des Moines, Two Saints Winery began planting grape vines in 2006 in Saint Charles, Iowa. Wines for everyone from sprightly sweet whites to sultry reds are produced using Iowa grown grapes harvested from the picturesque rolling hills.
1. 515 Brewing Company - Located in Clive, Iowa, 515 Brewing Company is an innovative craft brewery that opened in March of 2013 and caters to discerning palates eager to try something different when it comes to beer.
2. Confluence Brewing Company - Launched in October 2012, Confluence Brewing Company brews several hand-crafted beers that Des Moines can be proud to call their own. 3 Flagship beers are available year-round and 25 others make seasonal appearances throughout the year.
3. Firetrucker Brewery - July 4, 2014 is when Ankeny welcomed Firetrucker Brewery to the community. Founded when a film producer, graphic artist, and an IT executive decided to trade in their day jobs and follow their passion for brewing, Firetrucker is located in a freshly remodeled former Ankeny Firehouse. In-house smoked and milled grains impart a special touch to their darker beer offerings.
1. Broadbent Distillery - The smallest "legal" micro distillery in Iowa is located in Norwalk, Iowa and produces hand-crafted whiskey with 100% Iowa corn. Several styles of whiskey including limoncello and orangecello, cherry flavored liqueur, and grappa are made on site.
2. Iowa Distilling Company - Situated in a 100-year-old brick building in Cumming, Iowa, Iowa Distilling Company produces rum, cinnamon flavored whiskey, moonshine, vodka, and 100% Iowa corn whiskey using small-batch processes.
We have winery, brewery, and distillery tours for groups ranging from 2 to 20. Go ahead, let your hair down and enjoy yourself! Just do the responsible thing and leave the driving to us.